The Skilled Independent Subclass 189 Visa is intended for the point-tested skilled migrants who are not sponsored by the employer, a state or territory agency or a relative in Australia. This visa enables the applicants to live and work in indefinitely as a permanent Australian resident. In order to submit a valid application for this 189 Visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through Skill Select and this can be done both onshore and offshore.
New Zealand citizens interested in this visa must apply under New Zealand Visa Stream.
Who should apply for this visa?
Candidates who fulfill the below requirements can apply for Skilled Independent Subclass 189 Visa for Australia:
- Must be proficient in English Language
- Must be less than 45 years of age at the time of application
- Must possess eligible skilled occupation
- Must secure minimum 60 pass marks in the Skilled Migration Points Test
- Must be invited to apply for the skilled visa in Australia
What this visa allows you to do in Australia?
The Skilled Independent Visa 189 allows you to live, work and study in Australia indefinitely as it is a permanent resident visa. This visa is given with an attached travel facility which lets you travel in and out of Australia for five years and post that you will require the Resident Return Visa (RRV) to move to Australia. The 189 Visa grant also enables you to enroll in Medicare (a health insurance plan) and avail healthcare services. Later if you qualify you can bring your eligible family members to Australia and sponsor them for permanent residence.
Eligibility Criteria for Skilled Independent 189 Visa
There are certain eligibility criteria for the Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 applicants to fulfill which includes the following:
- They must be nominated and invited by the state or territory government to apply for the skilled visa in Australia.
- Must meet eligible skilled occupation and other requirements to qualify for work in Australia.
- Must be able to satisfy the health and character requirements.
If you have had visa cancellation during your visit to Australia, you are not eligible to apply for Independent Visa Subclass 189.
Share this information with your friends:
Get Advice From Our Experts
Q&A’s for Subclass 189 Visa:
How much will this visa application cost?
The application cost of Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 is AUD 3,755.
How long do I have to wait to process this visa application?
All the 189 Visa applications are processed within 8 to 10 months.
How long this visa will be valid for?
The Skilled 189 visa lasts forever starting from the date it is granted.
What is an Expression of Interest?
An expression of Interest (EOI) provides information about why applicants need this visa to rank them against other aspiring candidates. You can submit EOI from anywhere. Once submitted, EOIs are valid for two years.
What are steps to apply for Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)?
- Check your eligibility for skilled occupation if you have 60 points.
- Enter relevant information such as qualification, skills and proposed occupation in the EOI form.
- Hold-up till you get invitation for the visa (if you rank high).
- Collect all the documents.
- You must apply for the visa within 60 days after you have been invited.
- The visa will be processed soon.
Where can I apply for Subclass 189 Visa from?
You can apply for the Skilled Independent Visa from in or outside of Australia.
How long will I have to wait for the invitation to apply for this visa?
The invitation for visa application can be received within time interval of two years after the submission of EOI. It is mandatory to apply for the visa within 60 days.
What should I do if I don’t receive an invitation?
If two years elapse after you have submitted your EOI, you will be notified of the expiration of your EOI. You can submit a fresh EOI if you are still seeking the visa.