The Skilled Regional Subclass 489 Visa allows the skilled workers to live and work in specified regional areas of Australia for up to four years. This visa provides a pathway for permanent residence in Australia. Nomination for this visa is offered by the Victorian Government to the eligible and highly skilled professionals who wish to live and work in regional area of Australia.
Individuals who get sponsored by their relatives or the state or territory governments to visit Australia can also apply for this visa. Applicants interested in this visa can Submit an Expression of Interest for invited pathway and Apply for a Skilled Regional (Provisional) Renewal (subclass 489) visa for extended stay pathway.
Who should apply for this visa:
Candidates who fulfill the below requirements can apply for Skilled Regional Subclass 489 Visa for Australia:
- Possess 60 points on the points table
- Is efficient in English language
- Be invited by an Australian government agency or an eligible relative (Invited pathway)
- Possess work offer from relevant field
- Pass a suitable skills evaluation for your area of work
- Be under 45 years of age at the time of invitation
What this visa allows you to do in Australia?
The Skilled Regional Provisional Subclass 489 Visa holders can work and study in a specified regional area of Australia for up to four years. This visa allows you to sponsor your family members to enter in Australia. Other than this you may also travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid. Later if eligible, you can apply for permanent residence, through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887).
You can include your partner and you or your partner’s child or step-child in your application.
Family members who are granted the visa have the same rights and can do the same things as you.
Eligibility criteria for Skilled Regional 489 Visa
There are certain eligibility criteria for the Skilled Regional Provisional Visa applicants to fulfill which includes the following:
- The applicant must satisfy all the aspects of subsequent health requirements.
- Must pass the set character requirements
- Must not have any debts towards Australian government and must repay if any
- You may not be eligible if you had a visa rejection previously while you were in Australia.
Share this information with your friends:
Get Advice From Our Experts
Q&A’s for Subclass 489 Visa
How much will this visa application cost?
This visa costs around AUD 3,755
How long do I have to wait to process this visa application?
It takes up to 10 months for this visa to come through.
How can I move from a provisional visa to a permanent visa?
- You are eligible to apply for a permanent visa if you have resided in a regional location of Australia for 2 years.
- You also have to have employment for 12 months in any regional area of Australia.
- You can also be self-employed for a period of 12 months in any regional state of Australia.
What are the steps to apply for the Skilled Regional Visa?
There is a 3-point visa application process for this visa:
The 1st Step
Firstly, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) has to judge you on your skill set and define the area you can work in.
The 2nd Step
Once you have been approved, you have to make an application of interest through their Skill Select option.
The 3rd Step
The final step will involve you applying finally after the state sends you an Invitation to Apply. This is the last step after which you will have to wait for the visa to be granted to you.
Provided information should not be taken as exhaustive, additional requirements for the visa do apply. Visa requirements may differ as per individual circumstances. For your eligibility assessment visit one of our qualified professionals.